View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mila

Points: 7,903, Level: 13 Points: 7,903, Level: 13 Points: 7,903, Level: 13

Re: Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 4th 2013, 03:17 AM

Hey! Yay, I get really excited when i meet other blind people, hahaha, I know it probably sounds weird

Thanks for telling me your story! I understand completely, lol. I used to be called the "crazy eye girl" in middle school (a side affect of my condition is nystagmus, which means my eyes move constantly). And the friends I had would usually try do things to confuse me because I couldn't see what they were doing, just so they'd laugh.

This might seem weird or creepy, but did you ever go to/heard of SCIVIS (Space camp) in Alabama? I went a few years ago and loved it a lot and that's where I actually started to fully accept myself. Then, I started branching out from there. I'm a Canadian so most of the things I've participated in are through the CNIB.

And yeah, the busses thing is something I always had a kind of fear of. I'm looking into getting an O&M instructor when I move in the summer. But you're lucky that your campus has everything (mine does too, its like a ten minute bus ride out of the city, except it can kind of get inconvenient when you need something or are hungry and every things closed, lol).

And thats awesome you're getting a guide dog Something else they have now is miniature guide ponies, they're meant for rural areas. I think they're really cool, lol, but I hear they are very expensive. But I wish you luck in the process I have a friend who went to the California school last year, and I have another friend who is applying to get one, but I don't know where she will be going yet. I really think it would be cool to have one, but I don't think my vision has gotten to that point of needing one much yet. One of my corneas is failing tough, so we might just have to see.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.