View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 11th 2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It's good to see people don't let their disability take over their lives. Sounds like you all have a brilliant attitude.

Myself? I am a paraplegic as a result of an accident at work which caused cauda equina with elements of radiculopathy. I'm am mostly reliant on a wheelchair for adventuring outside due to pain which limits how far I can walk. But I can mobilise around my flat with crutches/without on good days. But I am very unstable. I find it hard not to let this run my life. My disability means I've gone from being really independent to rather dependent. However, people are always saying that i'm brave for going out and about by myself and wheeling independently. I am not afraid to try new things in the chair- snow sledging in one is awesome!

I say life is what you make it. You can either sit back and let life rule you or you can get up and rule life.
Haru and Lottie, you both inspire me. I've lived with my disability my whole life so I do not know what it is like to have just lost my sight or any other sense. I also love what you mentioned at the end of your post. "I say life is what you make it. You can either sit back and let life rule you or you can get up and rule life. " Well-spoken.
I definitely agree with you Corrina. I do not believe I would have the views I have about the world and see people how I see them if I could see. I would end up judging people for how they look, not who they are on the inside probably as do many people with sight. I am more about getting to know people and interested in them as a person way more than what they are wearing and how they look.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.