View Single Post
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 17th 2013, 08:44 PM

With my disability I find it hard for it to not get in the way of things. I have joint hypermobility syndrome (almost a diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type) and I have to be constantly thinking about what I'm doing as the smallest thing could cause a dislocation of a joint (usually shoulders & my right hip), and could leave me immobile for a while which I do NOT want to happen.
I try to do as much as I possibly can, but I'm often in a lot of pain and unable to walk, even a walking stick could cause damage as it puts pressure on the shoulder. I've been trying to go to the gym to get physically fit as I'm unhappy about my body and want to be healthy, but recently my hip has become a lot worse and find it hard to even go swimming now.
It affects what jobs I want to apply for, as I have to take in consideration how much I can physically do, and the jobs I enjoy doing require at least some sort of physicalness. It is very frustrating indeed, but I know that actually I don't have it as bad as other people do. I'm not wheelchair bound, I can walk some distance with some help, and I will have a partial dislocation once or twice a month and maybe one full one every few months. I have to make the most of what I CAN physically do rather than focusing on what I can't, which is hard, but do-able.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.