View Single Post
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 18th 2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post
Well, I have ADHD and issues with anxiety, so obviously when I am really stressed out or something it can affect me a little but overall I can manage it. It's definitely not as hard as being legally blind. Its inspirational to hear you are so positive about it.
Would you say that despite being legally blind that your capable of having a job and such? I ask because I have another friend who is legally blind and doesn't work and lives off of disability. It kind of bothers me because I feel like she IS capable of having a job, it would just have to be one that accommodates her issues (and I can think of a number of them) and I have never felt comfortable contradicting her choice not to work (because I can understand her need to be positive that she can afford her medications for other health so she'd need a good paying job and/or a job with health insurance) but i've just always wondered if it WOULD be possible for her to work and it sounds like you might be able to relate the most

Hi,

I know this question was directed towards Mila most likely, but I thought I would give an answer.
It is definitely possible to get a job even if someone is legally blind or completely blind.
I know adults that are blind that are working, married and have children. Being legally blind does not limit a person much, a lot of what someone can do while being legally blind is affected by their self-esteem and confidence in what they can do or cannot do (in their opinion). People who cannot see or who cannot see much, can do many things and be extremely successful if they apply themselves, are connected to resources/agencies that can help them and if they have positive supports, that helps with them being able to succeed at any goals they would like to accomplish: such as getting a job.
There are work experience programs that are specific for the blind so that we can learn skills and get training in how to write resumes etc.
Also, if in the United States, it is possible to receive disability while having a job if you are blind so long as the person is making under a certain amount of income: Social Security Administration.
It is definitely possible for your friend to work if she gets the proper training she may need (technology skills etc.) and if she is connected to someone through her states commission for the Blind (or similar organization).
If you are not in the US, this may not apply. I only know how things work here.
Hopefully this is helpful and if you ever need anything, you can PM me and I will be glad to help.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."