View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Do you usually state your disability in your cover letter/resume? - April 22nd 2013, 01:42 PM

I would talk about my accommodations with my employer in person. Depending on the job I am applying to, I may need more accommodating than for other jobs or different accommodating so I cannot really put my disability on my resume, that would exclude me from being employed possibly.
Plus, although they are not supposed to, employers can and have denied people jobs due to their disability because they have a view that someone who is disabled may not be able to perform as well as someone that is not disabled which makes no sense but the world has a long way to go in some areas....
Better to discuss in person than try fitting it in a resume.
This is definitely a debatable subject because some people will say to go for it but others say not to. There are a lot of reasons for both arguments but here is a great article from Monster.com that may help.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; April 23rd 2013 at 02:12 PM.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.