View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: what is a disability? - June 27th 2013, 08:06 PM

A disability is something that disables you from doing something. Take someone who's in a wheelchair. They're in the wheelchair because they can't. Whatever thy have, it disables them from walking. Others can include blindness, being deaf, cognitive problems and so on.

Raynaud's I wouldn't class as a disability, however, I think it depends on the severity. If it impairs you from doing day-to-day activities then yes I think it could be considered as it's just that severe.

As I'm a sufferer of Raynaud's I have to make sure that my body temperature is kept to a certain degree otherwise white to blue hands and feet begin to emerge. Simply wearing enough to keep warm can prevent this and therefore if thre's any decision to try and claim disability allowance, the government won't pay out because the problem is in my control. It's also just a matter of common sense not to walk out in colder temperatures in just t-shirt and jeans or so on. Raynaud's is in itself, an allergic reaction to the cold. Keep warm and the reaction doesn't happen. Just like someone who has an allergy to nuts. If they don't eat them, there's no reaction.

Unless your Raynaud's is so severe and that there's no physical way for you to keep your body temperature to a certain degree then it may be classed as a disability but again, it's just a matter of keeping warm and then it prevents it.