View Single Post
  (#254 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - April 5th 2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
The problem is not that you or any other religious person believes in a god. The problem arises when religious people insist on trying to force their beliefs in an unsubstantiated claims into places they don't belong, like science classrooms or our government.

For example, if Christians didn't constantly try to fight that the creation theory is an acceptable scientific argument against creation, stopped trying to force religious material into science classes, and stopped slinging unsubstantiated claims about evolution around, scientists and atheists might not be so insistent on them providing evidence of God's existence. And if they stop trying to fight laws like gay marriage, based only on what this god tells them, we also might be more accepting.

But you can't put all Christians in the same category, can you? I apologize if you view Christianity that way, because trust me. Even the Christians get religion shoved down their throats by others.

The only thing I expect from people is that they have looked at all possibilities before they Christianity. I admire an atheist that has read the bible and discarded it above an atheist who knows nothing and still calls himself/herself an atheist when they haven't looked around. Do you get what I'm saying?

I don't want to get you to be a Christian, that's one of the last things on my mind. I mean, if I did have a goal for any of you, it would be to study and possibly become an agnostic. Will I ask you to come to church with me? Maybe. If you say no, will I be offended? No.

I don't constantly fight that creation is the way things are. I know that something had to be created because you cannot create something from nothing. But then we have scientific proof that evolution is real. You have a believer here that says that the scientific community is correct. Isn't that enough for you? Couldn't you just respect that, and try and see maybe we could be right as well?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."