View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kasnec Offline
Escaping the mothership
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12

Re: why dose depression always take me near night time? - July 17th 2013, 01:48 PM

I'll have to see if I can try and find where I read it, but I've heard it's possibly a hormonal thing. Just part of the body's rhythms to be feeling more emotional at night, especially if you've had disturbed sleep patterns for a while and your brain is sending messages that you should be asleep and dreaming. Otherwise possibly a change in light? I know depression peaks during the winter months, and thats been largely associated with less exposure to sunlight. I have always wanted to get my hands on one of those S.A.D. lamps, which are supposedly bright enough to wash away the blues.

If you do eat dinner, perhaps try to eat some protein with tryptophan in it, not less than 2 hours before bed, and have a cup of relaxing tea (something with camomile and/or valerian). If you're not in the habit of eating around dinner time, try getting out of the house for a slow walk, or finding a deeply absorbing book, or as previously suggested, writing and music works great too.