View Single Post
  (#394 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman - July 22nd 2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
With all due respect, you have missed the point I was trying to make. My comment had nothing to do with viewing the situation as if I were Trayvon Martin; it was to point out that assuming someone is more likely to get into a fight with a random person on the street because they have a record of fights in school is a fallacy. Yes, there is suggestion that he got into fights at school; yes, he got into a fight with Zimmerman. But saying the two are connected without any supporting evidence is basest speculation, and that's why I flagged it up. I hope that clarifies the situation.
Actually, fighting in school is not the norm. If they are likely to get fights in school, then yes they are more likely to get fights outside of school. However, with strangers is debatable.

Quote:
Good question. I suppose it comes down to the "fight or flight" reflex - stopping and phoning the police is something which is more likely to follow the flight course of action. Martin, for whatever reason, went with the fight course of action - perhaps with a view to subduing his pursuer and then phoning the police. I'm not saying it makes a great deal of sense (it doesn't to me, at any rate), but I can see how that would occur to someone his age.
I'd lean towards he was angry and wanted to teach the guy a lesson before I would say he wanted to subdue and then call the police. People who beat up another person usually do not call the police. If there is a chance that they may get in trouble, they lie about it and refuse to say where they were located when they got beat up or attacked another person. It's kind of funny when someone "doesn't know" where they were when they got beaten up, but then a girlfriend comes in and answers the question for them before they can signal that they want them to keep quiet.