(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,935, Level: 26 Points: 33,935, Level: 26 Points: 33,935, Level: 26

Re: Seeking Help From School - August 23rd 2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
You are correct, in a majority of cases, counselors do not make people leave school or seek inpatient help. Though, if the person is extremely malnurish from an ED and is uncapable to live very long without medical intervention, at risk of suicide because they have a plan and plan to act on it or if the person has a plan to seriously harm others, then they will most likely and can interveen for the safety of the student and anyone else.
I could be wrong, I know I am not always correct, however I believe this is how I understand the confidentiality policy of colleges/universities.
I'm one semester away from working in the college counseling center and yes, this is how it works; only I'm in training, so technically my supervisor would have to make the call. We don't do anything without discussing it with the client. First you suggest it, if you feel it's really necessary, you strongly suggest, and if it's medically necessary or an emergency, then you encourage them to go willingly, if they refuse and they're in danger then they can be forced against their will, but only as the absolute last resort. Any licensed counselor has the power to do this.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte