View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount32

Edit avatar

Re: How to reduce anxiety while driving? - September 2nd 2013, 09:45 PM

I can definitely relate to this. When I first started driving, like Robin, I was a wreck. The first time I drove on the road, I couldn't go in a straight line either and wound up hitting a snowbank. It was okay, no one was hurt or anything, but I was horribly embarrassed at the time and absolutely dreaded the next time I drove. Now, I look back on that and can't help but laugh a little!

Needless to say, after many hours practice, I'm a much better driver. While I'm still wary about driving in unfamiliar areas, my anxiety around driving has gone way down. I can hop in the car and drive myself somewhere without thinking twice about it. How are you learning to drive? Are you with your parents? A driving school? Here in the US the driving instructors have brakes on their side of the car so they can stop you if something happens (at least my driving school did). It might be worth taking a few lessons with them before going out on the road with your parents if you're not feeling confident in your abilities for that reason, and also because they're more professional and perhaps relaxed. I think parents tend to be more high-strung when it comes to teaching their kids how to drive and might make you more nervous in the long-run. (I don't know about you, but my mom and I still have screaming matches in the car whenever I'm driving!!) Once you get some practice under your belt, you can move on up to driving your parents' cars without the extra set of brakes. If both of your parents are too nervous to teach you to drive, could you perhaps ask a relative? I know that my aunt gave me some pretty good driving lessons when my mom wasn't able to at some points! (My dad doesn't drive due to legal blindness.)

If you're not even feeling ready to go out on the road yet, maybe you want to start slower. My mom had me drive around in an empty parking lot before she allowed me to go out on the road. That helped me greatly and allowed me to get a feel for what driving was like without having to maneuver too many obstacles or worry about other cars. So that's definitely something to think about.

It's natural to be scared of driving when you first start. And it's certainly understandable that you don't want to crash or hurt anyone. But give it some time and take it slow, and before you know it, you'll have it down pat! Believe me, I never thought I'd be driving like I am now, and now it just comes naturally. Don't be discouraged; it just takes some practice!! As for your height, a lot of cars have adjustable seats that will accommodate your height. In fact, that's the first thing they always had me do in driving school: adjust my seat and mirrors. If you're not sure how to adjust the seat in the particular car you're driving, be sure to ask the person you're with!

Best of luck!