View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Religion Controls? - September 9th 2013, 08:26 PM

I'd say religion wasn't designed with the intention of controlling people - at its most basic level, religion is just a codifying of a particular set of ideas to do with the supernatural which is then shared by a particular group of people. Where I think the problem arose is that religion and politics became intertwined, and have remained pretty much thus ever since (most obvious example probably being the Vatican, which is its own state). Once that happened, an element of controlling people probably did enter the equation unfortunately. At its heart, though, religion to my mind isn't about control and nor should it be. It should be about guidance and helping a person make the best use of their life that they can.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick