View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Age of Ignorance Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: Girlfriend has "accepted God fully and completely" - September 14th 2013, 11:19 PM

Thank you for all of your responses. I won't have time to say much at the moment, but I will say that I knew some of the questions were heavily loaded. Whilst I asked the questions sincerely, I loaded them in a way to spark certain responses. Yes, I was performing the role of the militant atheist, but I did mean some of them in jest. Aside from the question regarding how I should ask her not to impress her views on me, and how it would impact my relationship, I just meant to spark enraged responses.

That being said, I thank you for your responses to them anyway. I would like to state, at this point, that I do find it very difficult to accept that she's on this spiritual journey without me, even if I'm not religious and refuse to be religious. It gets harder to accept when I throw in the fact that I don't really understand exactly why, and yes I have chalked it up to her being impressionable. I know that, lately, she's been struggling with suicide and self harm and that is a contributing factor to everything she does, and whilst I am there for her and so is her psychiatrist, I knew that neither of us could fulfil, satisfy or even alter how she feels about life. She needed to make a change, and take a different outlook on life, and I'm glad that she has found that in God, I guess. It's not the fact that she is religious or that she has accepted God which scares me the most, because I know that it is beneficial for her wellbeing, it's that she may change considerably because of this journey.

I can accept that she has found a place in religion, that's fine. And maybe, at the same time, my views that her personality may change may be unfounded. But maybe, and this is probably about the nth maybe that I find myself considering, she will shift her priorities so that her new community and her newfound love of God will sit higher than myself.

Of course, this may be one of those situations where it is what you make it, but I know that she has a habit of diving headlong into things and committing herself to those things wholeheartedly, to a point where it becomes an obsession. So, I wonder what will become of our relationship when her priorities shift.

Anyway, thank you for your advice. I'll let the replies keep rolling, I just wanted to clear a few things up.