Thread: Triggering: Statutory Rape
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Statutory Rape - September 24th 2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Also, I was just replying to a thread... that thread actually led me to making this thread here. Boys (and girls, but I've never heard of it) who are freshmen in high school or even still in middle school, are capable of rape. I don't mean raping a classmate, because that would still qualify as rape. But suppose a 13 year old boy rapes a 19 year old girl, that boy can't be charged criminally because he's a minor in this case and the girl is the 'rapist', she committed statutory rape.
Lol, wut? No, seriously. That is not how the law works. That law involves the consenting adult having sex with a child. A child rapist is still a rapist. Now, they may be able to only to have the trial in the juvie courts though.
Quote:
I'm just wondering, what do you guys think about the law/limitation on sex? I don't mean to go around sleeping with young teens, that's messed up. But if a guy in college and a girl a freshman in high school just happen to have the same level of maturity and anything else that qualifies them as proper boyfriend & girlfriend, should they or should they not be together? Should the law on statutory rape be thrown out?
The issue is that most teenagers think they are on the same level of maturity and they are not. There are different expectations required of them. If the teenager is on the same level of maturity and would like to be treated like an adult, it is her or his responsibility to graduate high school early, start college, get a job, and emancipate themselves through the courts to be recognized as an adult. As very few teenagers do this, then no they are not on the same level of maturity as someone who is in college is expected to have.

Most states have a "Romeo & Juliet" law where there is a age range with it. I believe mine is 2 years. So the whole 17 and 18 would not be rape.

I still standby that either they can wait for sex till the girl is 18 or try and get her emancipated. Once she is emancipated, she should be mature enough to take care of herself 100% including school, working, and having her own place. They cannot declare themselves as mature as someone who is 18 but not be able to take on the same responsibilities. I know of two or three teenagers who did leave home at sixteen to get a job and do college online. That is 2 or 3 out of thousands that I have met.