View Single Post
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Has being bullied altered your personality? - October 2nd 2013, 06:06 PM

Yes.

At first it made me insecure, wondering what's wrong with me. Took me less than a year to figure out that there was nothing I could do to please them, so then I stopped trying. Then:

It made me less trustful.
Gave me thicker skin.
Gave me more stamina and stubbornness.
It made me go to the gym to the extent where I was able to bench press nearly twice my body weight within a year of starting training.
It made me pick up martial arts.
It made me more focused.
It gave me the motivation to push past my exams with some of the best grades.

I could go on. I feel empowered by it today, but not necessarily happy... because often I feel an undercurrent of hostility towards other people, especially strangers. But that's less of a problem. At most, it causes some very occasional friction with some self-important asshole who invades my space or some conman in a market for example. The bigger problem is people whom I know personally. When I get the gist that someone's f/ing and playing games with me, I do my best to break off contact, ignore and avoid them. It's the best and safest thing I can do before it escalates. But it's a rare event nowadays for me anyway. My distrust means not many people get close enough to get under my skin. And those whom I trust, I trust for good reasons and am very rarely disappointed.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.