View Single Post
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
PureStorm Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 8,585, Level: 13 Points: 8,585, Level: 13 Points: 8,585, Level: 13

Re: is it true that rape is part fault of how we dress? - October 8th 2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
NO! "When a man is raped, you never hear about what he was wearing". This is so true and it highlights that fact that female rape is a feminist issues, in the way guys react to women and jump to conclusions and expectations.
When a man is raped, you don't hear about it at all because it gets swept under the table.
Otherwise you would know that the place most men get raped in is prison and that men are the overwhelming majority of rape victims due to regular prison rapes getting swept under the table.
And in prison you don't choose your clothes, so only the other factors count (body language and out-of-your-control factors). Yes, by this I am saying that men should take whatever precautions they can take to protect themselves: having a body language that does not indicate vulnerability and weakness makes it less likely for you to get raped in prison. This is bloody common sense, this ignorance here makes me shake my head in disbelief!

Quote:
Just because you look attractive, does not give anyone the right to hurt you or invade you personal space. It is your body to do whatever you want with.
Just because you leave your windows open and doors unlocked at night does not give anyone the right to break into your house. It is your house to do whatever you want with.

Just because you go into the dark wilderness without proper protection does not mean you deserve to be assaulted by a person or eaten by a wild animal. It is your body to move whereever you want with it.

Just because you cross the zebra crossing without looking left and right does not mean it is your fault if you get run over. It is your right to cross the road without looking.

All these statements are true, but it happens and it is your responsibility to reduce the risks. Is it your fault if it happens? No. Is it your responsibility to reduce risks? Yes.
It is the same with burglary, assault, thievery, ...

Imagine all the banks and museums of the world saying
"Just because we have billions of Euros stored does not give anyone the right to steal them. Therefore we don't need security systems; they are expensive and thievery is not our fault, so why should we pay? It is our money and our bank/museum to do what we want with it. Don't tell us to install security systems, teach your kids not to steal!"

My face cannot take any more palm!

Olive,

[Edited] I want women and men to stay safe and that they can reduce the risk, but it can still happen even if the woman/man does everything he/she can and that's why the woman/man is not to blame in such situations. But some women/men still think "Stay Safe" = "You deserve to be raped" [Edited]
I just want to let you know that I want your best safety and that means informing you about precautions you can take. Unfortunately, [Edited] voices like mine are silenced so the chances of getting raped increase for women and men. But nobody will shame me into silence anymore. I was a victim too and saying that I am a victim blamer reeks of ignorance that borders on stupidity. I as a victim feel offended in the extreme by that, and hereby I make clear once again: THE VICTIM IS NOT AT FAULT!

And I want to clarify here. I said "The statement 'The victim is never at fault' is fundamentally flawed". [Edited] I hope you didn't misunderstand it. Cause I agree with it, BUT I think that it is flawed because an important part is missing.

"In the end, the victim is not at fault; however, precautions to reduce the risk of becoming a victim can and should be taken".

It is no rocket science that body language and clothes tell alot about a person, and can also indicate that you would make a vulnerable, weak and helpless victim.

I don't have the intention to take any freedom away from women or men when it comes to clothing or behavior. Do whatever you want. Don't wear a bike helmet because it's uncomfortable and furthermore don't look left and right when crossing the zebra crossing. But then the risks of injury increase - does that mean you are to blame if something out of your control happens? No!

Last time I linked this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0Gc...r_embedded#t=0

Needless to say, even though he emphasizes that even if all precautions are taken rape can still happen due to out of your control factors, he is being called a victim blamer and rape apologist. Like I said, it happens everywhere. Goal of that shaming tactic is to strip women off their responsibilities, and it is enforced on this forum as well.

His response to that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGV-fhZ-xs

Stay safe, Olive and everybody else!
And to be perfectly clear: it. is. not. your. fault. if. you. get. raped. [Edited] I'm pro-victim, not anti-victim. Being pro-victim includes helping potential victims to avoid becoming one. Men and women should not commit crimes, and men and women are responsible to protect themselves from perpetrators. Still, men and women who fall victim to crimes have my compassion and helping hand on their side.

It's not your fault! But please stay safe, for your own sake, consider how you can reduce the odds of becoming a victim.

Quote:
"In summary, men experience systematic discrimination in parenting, domestic violence policies, education, criminal sentencing, paternity, forced labor, military conscription, public health policies, genital integrity, false accusations, reproductive rights, portrayal by the media and in the coverage of their issues by the news media."
http://www.avoiceformen.com/

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; October 16th 2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Removing unnecessary references to previously removed post and a Moderator.