View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: Making friends at Community College - October 19th 2013, 10:05 PM

Hey there! Starting friendships and keeping them can be a very difficult thing for people - especially when they are not in their comfort zone. I think you should start off alittle slower. Friendships can take weeks or months to develop to a reasonable context, so you need to take your time and not expect friendships to be full blown over night. For example, when you see someone, say hi. That's it. End of conversation. Now, next time you see that person say 'Hi, how are you doing?', they will respond by saying 'I'm _____ (good, bad, fine, etc), how about you?' and respond back 'I'm good, thanks!'. End of conversation. After each conversation you have with that person, you should add 1-2 sentences until you are getting to the point of the interactions flowing nicely. Once you get to that point, feel free to not keep track and just talk like you normally would without any restrictions.

The other thing I'd like to recommend is getting involved. Start joining groups, clubs, volunteer organizations, or even get a part time job! All these things can aid you in the process of creating friendships.

However please remember, creating and building friendships is a trial and error process. Sometimes it'll take alot of work, but in the end you will find someone (or many people) who you will seem to click with, and have fun spending time with.

Keep your head up and keep trying!

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai