View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17

Question Useless Degree? (uni/college posters please!) - October 27th 2013, 04:46 AM

So I'm having second thoughts about my degree even though I'm at a stage where I can't really turn back… For those of you who'll say that I should've thought about it more thoroughly: I did, and if I'd go back in time, I'd do it again for the simple fact as this is what I'm passionate about…

HOWEVER, my degree (Bachelor's in International Studies) is in fact an arts degree which poses a lot of question marks. I do have jobs in mind (foreign service, NGO work, development, etc.) but I'm left to wonder whether it'll all turn out the way I'm hoping. I've read somewhere that less than 20% of people actually end up with the job they envisioned themselves getting and that, to be frank, worries me to no end.

Now, I'm planning to either get another bachelor's (poli sci to complement the IS degree) or get a master's in IS. Whichever happens, I still have at the back of my mind that at the end of the day, I have what people call a 'useless arts degree,' not even in the mold of a psychology or criminology degree. I plan to do whatever it takes to succeed even if it means moving to a whole different continent but the question still remains: is my degree 'useless'?

Thoughts?

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar