(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Useless Degree? (uni/college posters please!) - October 27th 2013, 10:22 PM

I have similar interests to you and honestly, anything in humanities or social science is iffy and require graduate school for jobs, so if you enjoy your major and what you're studying, I wouldn't see any point in changing to political science. The potential jobs really won't increase; all humanities and social science degrees are terrible in the "prospective jobs" category, so changing to a different one really won't help. If you were caring only about having potential jobs, you'd basically have to do engineering or biomedicine, and these really don't sound like your interests. Just study what you like.

I'd consider declaring pre-law with your degree if you're at all interested in foreign policy and that area, and I'd also recommend you consider doing local volunteering in nonprofits and other similar work, maybe even Peace Corps once you graduate. I'd also relax about the idea that your job interest might change once you graduate; PEOPLE CHANGE. When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to be a novelist. When I was a freshman in college, I wanted to be a counselor. Now, I'm looking to pursue public health in graduate school. And guess what? I probably will end up working in another area, maybe teaching at a community college, maybe working at an NGO, maybe starting my own nonprofit. Who knows? Study what you like, and opportunities will fall your way that you may have dreamed of, or never imagined yourself doing! I think that makes life more exciting.

something burning?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.