View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Useless Degree? (uni/college posters please!) - October 28th 2013, 04:48 PM

My cousin had trouble finding a job with her masters in something international, but she did find a job after six to nine months of trying. She does have the benefit of actually working in other countries with the peace corps though. I think she did two terms but I don't actually know how long she was in it. She was in an African country. That's really the main reason why she was hired was because of her degree and experience in the international community. Oh, and you should be prepared to move. She moved about eight hours away to an area closer to our nation's capitol.

I wouldn't do psych. Psych degrees are a dime a dozen. I was initially a psych major but changed it to nursing because I could do more with the degree. I was probably a lot closer to the point of no return because I was about two to three quarters away from graduating (really two, but there was one class I needed that wasn't offered again till the winter). So I went and became a nursing major. I don't regret it.

Also, people change jobs frequently now a days. A lot of people will have a degree in something only to change their field later on in life. In about ten years, I imagine I will be working only per diem as an ER nurse and instead will be working in a health department clinic. However, I'll also have to get a masters degree.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.