View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: How much does your parents' opinion matter? - October 30th 2013, 01:00 PM

I've said that it matters somewhat, for a couple of reasons. First one being, neither of my parents liked my ex at all. That relationship went down the toilet, really. I was really hurt when it ended and had I just listened to my parents and not jumped into things, I feel like things could have gone better. So I have good reason to trust their instincts now.
The other reason is that they both quite like my current partner and are happy we're together, so obviously I'm going to trust that because it's in my favour.

The only reason I could think not to take what they think into consideration is that it took them a year to "adjust" to the fact I was gay so, in theory, they could not like anyone I'm with because it's encouraging a lifestyle I don't think they fully agree with yet.

Ultimately, I trust my parents and know they want the best for me, so I'll always be open to listen to their opinions, but I'm not going to break up with someone because my parents don't like them, if things go wrong, that sucks, but I'm old enough to make my own mistakes and deal with them.

...That was way longer than I thought.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.