View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21

Walking to work? - October 31st 2013, 05:48 PM

Right now, I'm in need of a car. I'm shelling out around twenty dollars a week for gas money - to my parents and my grandma, who've been ferrying me back and forth. I only work only three miles away from home. I've walked that far alone in the woods on our farm. Heck, I plan on walking 2,000 miles alone in 2015, which is the main reason that I'm working, anyway. People used to walk that far to work all the time. I'm entirely unafraid of walking. Plus, it's practical. I need exercise, I need more of my day taken up by something, it's good for the environment, and I like fresh air when I have a reason to get it.

I'm almost eighteen. I'm 5'10, smart, reasonably strong, I can run the entire distance without stopping (only if I needed to though, 'cause I don't want to get to work sweaty), I know enough not to wear headphones, and I can buy pepper spray. It's a rural route, but there are houses scattered along the the road.

Honestly, I just wanna try it to prove that I can, and to see what it's like. If it works out, it'd be amazingly practical. I'm making a hundred dollars a week, and losing fifty dollars a month on gas money. I don't even begin to know how to go about introducing the possibility to my parents. They're still excruciatingly protective of me. If I was a boy, I know they'd let me; my dad used to walk out to his uncle's (about the same distance) when he was my age. It's a completely different story with me, though, because I'm a girl and evidently girls are weaker and more vulnerable and more stupid.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.