View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,770, Level: 59 Points: 172,770, Level: 59 Points: 172,770, Level: 59

Re: What to say to a teacher about self harm - December 14th 2013, 02:56 AM

Hi there,

I'm going to be merging this post with "Should I tell a teacher about self harm" in just a moment because this seems as if it would be an additional question that could be added on to that. If you have any questions, PM me!

I think that the best plan of action would be to just be straightforward and honest with them. You can tell them in multiple ways such as a letter or verbally.

But, try and think through what you want to say before you say it. For example, of course, one thing you would want them to know is that you self harm. Do you feel as if they should know why you self harm? If so, tell them. Also tell them what you would need from them, such as ways they can help or support you through this. Basically, anything you want them to know, tell them.

The teacher will have to react professionally, meaning they won't blow up on you or anything like that. More than likely they will act calm but will show that they are concerned and do care. They may want to refer you to someone like a guidance counselor or school nurse, just to make sure you are getting an adequate amount of support, but I'm sure if you asked you could still go to them when you need someone.

Best of luck!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive