View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: Is Scratching Truly Bad or Self Harm? - January 17th 2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigereyes View Post
In most places, you do have to be 18 before you can go to the doctor by yourself. However, by around 16 or 17, they usually start giving you the option of having your parent step out of the room during part of the time. When I went to my appointment at 17, they told my mom she had to leave the room. If they don't give you that option, I'm sure you could ask to speak to the doctor alone for a while. It is possible that they would have to tell your mom about self harm because you're in danger to yourself so I would try to find out before you go if they're required to tell so that you know what to expect. If they do tell your mom though, the doctor would certainly make sure she understood.
I agree with this.

You should find out about that hospital's regulations as I said in my post, to know what would happen. If there's some kind of psychological help hotline you could call it from a pay phone or something and ask, they may be able to give you more information. You can also look at the hospital's website or call it to ask what their confidentiality policies are.

In my experience you can ask to talk to your doctor alone before you're 16 or 17. It just depends on where you live. Where I live you can also see a doctor alone through programs aimed at young people.

If you're afraid your mother might be upset if you ask to see your doctor alone you can always ask your doctor to explain to her that it's normal for young people to want to speak to a doctor alone. She may feel better hearing this from a medical professional.

If their confidentiality agreement does not require your doctor to tell your parents, then they won't. They'll ask your permission if they think it would help. If you agree, and only then, they'll talk to your parents and do their best to make sure to educate your parents on the subject, answer their questions, make sure your parents understand and explain how they can help you and support you. This may be still be surprising for you parents but hearing it from a professional they respect can help.

You could always talk to your counsellor unless you believe that would be a problem, if your counsellor didn't report to anyone that you were suicidal (which is more urgent by most regulations I know of) then they probably won't say anything. You can also ask about the regulations there too.