Thread: My Parents
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13

Re: My Parents - January 18th 2014, 06:30 PM

Hi Daisy,

I'm hearing a lot of anger, and at times, a bit of self-blame in your post. And it really sounds like you've had to almost build a shell around yourself in order to protect yourself from their rules. There seem to be so many rules... Your mother's criticism of your weight is particularly strict. Most of us know the necessity of keeping reasonably slim for health reasons, but when a mother demands that her daughter be stick-thin, that tends to raise alarm bells. Or it does for me, anyway.

This is just a question, but have your parents ever tried going for therapy themselves, or considered whole-family therapy? I have a feeling I know how they'd respond to that if you (or indeed, anyone, put it to them), but I just wanted to ask.

Well done on your 95% scores, by the way! I hear that your parents expected 100% but I think 95% is great. I don't know how all of this is going to end for you but the vast majority of the world at large would be blown away by someone able to do so well.

Above all, keep talking here and keep watching your own situation with a keen eye. I suspect your parents will have a hard time letting you go out into the world as an adult - they're already holding back on doing that while you're in the transition phase that is adolescence. But I think you need - and will relish - freedom. It's just a case of knowing how they will respond to that and what to do, yourself.

Remember that you are a capable and clever young woman. If you can cope with a Mumzilla you can deal with anything!