View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Gingerbread Latte Offline
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Michael Gove Pledges 10-Hour School Days - February 5th 2014, 05:49 PM

The whole thing is ridiculous to begin with but one thing I'm curious about is this :

Quote:
Children should also sit private school-style Common Entrance exams at the age of 13 to make sure that they are "on track for later success".
What exactly will happen to children who don't do well in these tests? Usually in private school they'll provide private tutors I think or possibly even suggest the child leave the school. With state schools they can't afford to give private tuition to every student who might fail these tests and kicking children out for doing badly on a test won't end well for anybody.

I'm also sick of so much pressure being put on children to do exams. Not all students are good exam takers and exams can only show certain areas of intelligence in people. I feel quite lucky that I'm good at taking exams but I've seen people breakdown crying in the middle of exams and had full blown panic attacks due to them so adding more into the system isn't helping.

Also, maybe if the freaking government didn't cut all the funding to state schools then they could actually afford better equipment, private tutors, more teachers so that there wouldn't be a big inequality between private and state schools. I find it hilarious that these government officials who probably went to private schools can't seem to make the link between funding and how well a school does...perhaps their private education wasn't so good afterall.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.