View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Long Post - Do I have anxiety, or am I making it up? - February 5th 2014, 09:19 PM

Hey Ashlyn, I can't diagnose you, but I have a lot of similar problems and have been diagnosed. I never missed school, i just hated going if I had to do speeches, presentations etc.

I'm in training to become a mental health professional. In general, we suggest anyone seek professional help if their symptoms are interfering with their life (missing school is an example of that). So I'm going to reassure you that you aren't making something out of nothing and that you could benefit from help, whether you decide to get it or not is entirely up to you.

When you go to college you WILL have to do speeches and presentations, and class participation will likely count as part of your grade, if you have some time before then, I'd say it's worth getting help before you get there. Once there, you will probably be able to see someone for free or reduced cost.

I started going a few weeks ago after my anxiety cost me enough participation points that I failed a class (and withdrew twice after that). Since I have insurance, I don't have to pay anything and for students who aren't insured there's a reasonable self-pay rate (not sure how much it is though).

I've only been a few times, but it's already somewhat better, I don't really connect with him, so I think we might have to work that out at some point, but I don't regret going at all. I'm starting to wonder what took me so long!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte