(#19 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Michael Gove Pledges 10-Hour School Days - February 9th 2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi. View Post
We don't need a competitive market in education. This is education not a corporation.

What we need is fair and equal education for all and quite frankly using a capitalist system isn't going to achieve that. How exactly do you propose we measure the quality of education? As of now it's primarily based on grades and what universities students get in to. If everything was privatised I can only see this getting worse and students being pushed to achieve higher and higher grades no matter what the cost.
You're assuming the DoE isn't already corrupted by coporatism. The government is owned by corporations. Liberals even admit this. We haven't had a capitalist society in a long time. You're confusing capitalism with corporatism. In a free market, education wouldn't be the way corporations are ran today, getting special subsidies, tax reliefs, and grants from the government picking favorites. You're also missing the point. A free market driven educational system gives incentive for educators to grow, and become better teachers. It drives away from standardized testing and focuses on how to contribute to society in a variety of ways. It allows teachers to teach and not force them to force government permitted "fact" down the throats of children.

What makes you think our current education system isn't ran by corporations? What makes you think the government running the education system makes it "fair?" Equality can only occur in free market economics.

As far as measuring the quality of education, we already do that as consumers. The difference is in a free market, when a company goes under, the tax payers don't owe the government billions of dollars for saving a company. Rather, consumers choose who survives and who doesn't. What makes you think government regulated services means quality? Have you looked at the DMV? Have you look at the economic beliefs of our current and previous administrations? If you can't trust the federal government in small matters, why should we trust them in large matters? You also mistakenly assume that we have no way to measure the quality without government. The government is made up of people, correct? What if we regulated a privatized DoE that rated educational systems? My point is, anything the public does, the privatized sector can do better. Look at healthcare website. We hired the private sector to fix it. The NSA hires private sector employees to do NSA jobs. Why?

The problem with one formulated education path is that you get the current result of our society. Over 60% of adults 18-26 are unemployed. A lot of these kids graduating colleges are finding themselves unemployed and in-debt. Why? Because they've all been raised under the same system and put into the same box as every other college grad. Employers are beginning to value work experience over education. A simple google search will show you what I mean. Look at any news source.

That's what happens when you live in a coporatist country, not a capitalist one. If you think we are capitalist, my point of indoctrination in my previous post proves accurate.

I hope you don't dismiss my questions, but answer them.

Last thing, can I ask you, am I free to disagree with you?

Also sorry for grammar and spelling errors. My tablet likes to miscorrect things.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan