View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: College/Work/Money - February 22nd 2014, 07:03 PM

Being a student is tough, especially when you don't have the luxury of having wealthy parents who can pay your entire education. I've been in university for the last four years, and while my parents have tried to help me as much as they could, money has been a consistent stress in my life as well. My tuition this year, and for the next three years, is $25,000 per year; so I can definitely relate.

Have you tried to work part-time during the school year? I know you work hard during the summer, but working a few hours a week during the school year can help alleviate some of the stresses you're experiencing, and you could earn enough to buy proper groceries.

I know you've received bursaries, but try applying for scholarships as well. Scholarships tend to be more merit based, though. I've worked hard since my first year, and currently get $12,000 per year or so in scholarships merely because of my grades alone. If you buckle down and really try your best, you could be eligible for a scholarship. This has two benefits: you'll get awesome grades which will help you in your future, and it'll also provide you with a monetary benefit in the form of a scholarship. Even if you don't think your grades are high enough, apply anyway. Many scholarships go unclaimed because of a lack of applicants.

I know that money is a complicated issue, especially at our age, but it'll get better. Know that most students are in the exact same position as you; if not, they could be in an even worse situation. If you work hard now, your future will reward you for your hard work.

Have you considered a Student Line of Credit? Several major banks offer Lines of Credit to students in similar positions. A Student Line of Credit will usually carry a significantly less interest rate than your typical Line of Credit, which is helpful for a student. Moreover, you only have to pay interest on the Line of Credit until you graduate; only then will you have to start re-paying the principal.

Lastly, depending on which province your from, provinces usually have a student loan/bursary program. In Ontario, for example, many students use OSAP. This form of funding is made up of a combination of loans and grants that are given to students based on the income of their parents. It provides a maximum of $14,000 per year or so to students in need.

I hope one of these suggestions piqued your interest in some way. If you have any other specific questions, or need additional advice, feel free to reach out. I go to university in Canada as well, so I have quite a bit of knowledge re: how everything works.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.