View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Started again and doctor - February 26th 2014, 05:38 AM

Hey Jacob, I'm sorry that all that happened to you, but you made it 100 days and that's AWESOME!

Based on what you've said here, I have to agree that this doctor has no idea what he's doing. My guess is that he's a medical doctor and he doesn't have the right training to deal with it or he's going by something your mother told him about what she thinks the problem is. Either way, he's going about it all wrong. He may be very good as a medical doctor, but don't feel like you're forced to stay a patient of his if you can't stand him.

Now, as a counselor in training I'll admit that I'm biased here, but I will never say that counseling is a bad idea. A new medical doctor might run you into the same problem and/or try to throw meds at you without a good evaluation. They can be a good place to start, but for psychological issues,a lot (not all) of them are not very good.

So, do I think counseling is a good idea, yes. It's your decision of course, but I would at least consider trying it a few times. You will get out what you put into it though and it will be work, but don't let that scare you off.

On a personal note, I just finally started going and I was terrified and resisted the idea for years even though I knew I needed it. Now I'm wondering what the heck took me so long! It's not always fun or easy, but it's SO worth it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.