View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18 Points: 16,100, Level: 18

Practicality Vs. Happiness? Regarding my location for college. - March 4th 2014, 02:48 AM

So, I'm from a small town in the south. Which, as you can imagine, is perfectly miserable for some types of people, which it was for me. So, I did dual credit in high school and then attended a semester at a 4 year university. It was a pretty big town, mostly university kids, but still, some stuff to do. It was close to a big city where my now-ex-boyfriend moved, but also close in vicinity to my home town where my parents and Grandmother live. I basically had a mental breakdown because my now-ex-boyfriend totally screwed me over like four times and I was struggling with my math class and deciding what I wanted to major in and feeling pressured a lot... so I decided to come stay with family in California for a semester or so. I'm in love with it here. I would really like to go to school here. But the universities I've considered require 60+ hours for transfer students and I'm only a sophomore credit-wise. And I can't afford out of state fees, even for a community college. I would have to establish residency now and then keep it for a year to get in state tuition. At which point I would be 20, and would have been out of school for a year and a half. Also, I could maybe get an apartment here with others for 700 a month (MAYBE, at best) where as back home, I could find something for 300-400, easy.

I feel like this is too much time to take off for me, personally, but the more I think about moving back home the less appealing it sounds. I'm not sure I want to live in the bay area forever, either, but I like it so much better here. I have three years left at college, and I totally did have friends and things to do there, and I know I wouldn't have to see my ex anywhere... I just hate the weather and the Republican overtones surrounding everything... but on the other hand, it's more economic, like I have a shot at getting through school without being in debt... and it's definitely not all bad... I'm just dreading it, though. I'm not sure if being happy here but dealing with the higher expenses and having to take so much time off of school beats out taking the easy and quicker route and moving back home. I mean, I wouldn't be totally miserable and it would be easier, I guess. But I really do love it here. Input, please?? :3