View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: Practicality Vs. Happiness? Regarding my location for college. - March 4th 2014, 03:28 AM

Your decision seems obvious to me. From your post, it is very clear that you would enjoy yourself much more in California than back at your old school. I would never recommend taking the easier, quicker route if there is another route that makes you happier, even if it's more difficult. Life is all about taking chances and being happy. If this is what makes you happy, go for it - even if it takes you another three or four or five years.

Keep in mind that there is no direct route in life, and I think this is something a lot of people forget. We're all brought up to think that life should be extremely linear: high school --> college --> job, with nothing in between. But, that's not the reality of life. And if it is, I feel bad for you. There will be twists and turns in your path; twists and turns that will help you grow and develop as an individual. Even the most successful people in the world have taken such a unique approach to life; their path was certainly not the common road taken, and I truly think that has played a significant role in their current success.

At the end of the day, you need to make the decision that you feel is best for you. What do you value most? Does debt scare you? Where do you see yourself in two year? What about five years? There are a lot of things to think about, for sure, but just remember what I said: you're allowed to part from the set path that you think you're supposed to follow. Even if it takes you the extra year or so, and puts you in a bit of debt, so what? If it'll make you happier, it's worth every penny - and more. All the money in the world wouldn't be enough to make me stay in a place where I was unhappy - even if it was the easier and quicker way out.

Ultimately, do what you feel is best for you. It's not an easy decision, but if you go with your gut, you'll be fine.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.