View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: Nicotine addiction gone too far. - March 12th 2014, 03:15 PM

E-cigarettes don't do much for nicotine addiction. You're still getting your nicotine that way. The only difference is that they have less issues due to the smoke and can be cost effective, though I've heard of some people smoking more after they switch to e-cigs since they can smoke anywhere.

I recommend:
1. Talk to your family and friends (or anywhere who knows about your smoking really) and explain to them the issue. Ask them to not smoke in front of you. There's an inevitable immature person who blows smoke in your face. If this happens it's a good idea to temporarily avoid that person.

2. Throw out or give away all your smoking material (lighters, rolling papers, cigarette packs, tobacco pouches). The hassle of having to buy them all over again especially if you get cravings in the middle of the night will make it easier to avoid.

3. If there are any ash trays in your living space (your bed room for example), clean them out and put them away where you can't see them if you plan on using it for something else later, if not, give them to someone who may use them or a secondhand shop.

4. Clean your living space. This sounds weird and pointless, but getting rid of the smell of cigs on your clothes, personal items, and in the places where you smoke can make a huge difference. Get those air freshener things, get those sprays for clothes, get that incense that neutralizes the smell of smoke. You get the idea. This will make you less tempted to give in.

5. Finally, I heartily recommend talking to a doctor or at least a pharmacist about this. They may be able to prescribe you something like patches, sticks, gum, etc.

And a final piece of advice: even if you fail, don't give up. I've been a smoker for years now and I desperately want to quit (let this be a warning to anyone who might be curious about smoking... it's not worth the hassle). I've tried to quit cold turkey for years but I've failed every time, mainly because I'm always around smokers in and in non-smoke-free places, so even when they're considerate enough to not smoke in front of me I still feel the smell of smoke a lot. Maybe it'll take more than a few tries for you, or maybe you'll figure out that cold turkey isn't the way to go for you and in that case doing a step-by-step treatment with a doctor can help. That's what I'm going to try next.

Plus you've only been smoking for a year and not even a whole pack a day through that... it's not really going to be as tough on you as you think, and half of it will probably be psychological. Good luck.