View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: Unsure how to help friend who suffers with anorexia - March 28th 2014, 01:38 AM

Hi there:

It is obvious that you really care about your friend, and that's an admirable quality to have. He is lucky to have a friend who cares about him so much. Keep it up.

With regards to what to do about the situation? I think you need to constantly communicate with him. I don't think that you should push the issue or anything, because that may discourage him from talking to you about this issue. Instead, continuously re-assure him. Remind him that he can talk to you about anything. Make yourself available to him. Don't be judgmental in any way, and show him that you care.

I'd strongly suggest that you talk to him about this, and explain that you're worried about him. Anorexia is a very serious illness and must be addressed in order to prevent potential negative consequences. Encourage him to reach out to someone that he trusts about what's going on. There are so many people that want to help your friend; he just needs to be willing to reach out for the help. Some ideas of people he can reach out to: his parents, sibling, teacher, priest, psychologist, counsellor, etc.

Is there an adult that you can reach out to? I'd strongly suggest that you, privately, reach out to an adult in your life that you can trust. This may include your parents, teacher, priest, sibling, etc. - you just need to let an adult know about what's going on, so that nothing bad happens to your friend. Additionally, it would be beneficial for you to have an adult to talk to about all of this. This can become very difficult to handle, and it would be helpful to have an adult supporting you throughout the process.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.