Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Rape and "Equality"
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26

Re: Rape and "Equality" - March 29th 2014, 09:30 AM

As a male victim, I do not by any means want to make excuses for myself, but a double standard of sorts does exist. Essentially, I'm a male victim of patriarchy, which is paradoxical. While I think the person behind the post is a bigot (notice the usage of terms like 'PTSDey'), I agree there is not equality, but for different reasons. Note how they appear to be saying that a man would not suffer PTSD, or, in their unsavoury terms, "descend into narcissism", and that the concept of a man doing so is preposterous. Neofundamentalism indeed. That's the problem right there.

Stigma against rape victims is rife as it is, but it seems like it's unheard of for a man to be raped outside of a prison cell. One cannot deny that the conservative expectations on men to be 'manly' exist, and a male victim can suffer just as much emotionally for their perceived failure to meet those expectations. But, hey, it's not like we have emotions anyway, right? Bottom line, rape isn't just amongst the worst things that can happen to a woman, it's amongst the worst things that can happen to anyone, regardless of their gender.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.