View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: Not wanting to go to college - April 6th 2014, 07:57 PM

I'm not going to try to talk you in or out of it at all but let me begin by clearing up some things.

The description you've been given is not accurate. Your college experience is largely what you make of it. Some people are interested in partying so they will party more, other people may not be interested in it so they won't do it. It depends more on what your personal interests are. You've probably already experienced something like this so far, the chances are you've noticed that at your current school some students have gravitated to different activities and groups depending on their interests and priorities. It's also not necessarily like what you see in movies, of course movies will always go for what gives them a better plot, it's like saying that if you're a teenager your experience is absolutely like all teen movies ever made.

When (or if) you go to college you'll probably have the chance of deciding what you want to do in your free time. There are usual many different clubs and social scenes, some are more party-heavy while others may revolve around studying, volunteering, things like that. It all depends on who you're friends with and what you enjoy doing. The odds are that even your more party-minded classmates will go through times when they're not partying because if they want to at least pass their classes they'll have to do some work and attend class.

There are also very different universities with very different atmospheres, some more party-heavy than others. Mine for example, I wasn't expected to party all the time and even if I wanted to, the type of partying depended on the clique also.

As to whether you want to go to college or not and what you'd like to study, there are several things you can do to help you decide. On a more immediate level you can try to take a gap year and do something other than study, maybe that will help you have more time to think and a better notion of what you want to do as well as how you can get there. Another thing is ask yourself what kind of lifestyle you can see yourself having in the future and what your priorities are. Someone who values making money and working in an office over doing research in historical archives is probably going to choose to study a different thing. Depending on where you live, you may be able to study for at least one year before deciding, by studying something general as you start out or by being able to transfer credits into a different course. Ask around, if your school has a career advisor it could be a good idea to check with them as they may be able to help you research your options. Ultimately, it's your own choice, and while university is a good opportunity to learn, network, and grow as a person, I do know people who took a while to go because they weren't sure and it wasn't feasible for them to waste money on a degree they could regret so they waited to have a better idea and they turned out fine.