View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Usernames Suck Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11 Points: 6,558, Level: 11

Re: Problems with my cats bad behaviours worsening my anxiety - April 7th 2014, 05:12 PM

Have you tried taking him to the vet? Locking him elsewhere or trying to punish him won't accomplish anything, especially if you don't know the cause of the meowing.

He may be picking up on how nervous you are and may be feeling nervous himself or trying to help. In this case, trying to act normally and distract him and yourself with something else may help.

If he just wants attention, maybe setting aside some time to play with him could help, since he'll then be less likely to want to try to disrupt your attention when you're doing homework. Check also if he's trying to get your attention about something, maybe he's distressed over something (hunger, the other family members not being around, animals outside, lack of toys to play with).

He may also be in pain or ill and meowing because of that.

Because it's hard to just tell from your description, I recommend taking him to a good vet (look for reviews online if you can or ask for recommendations from people who know a lot about cats) and asking. If your cat is sick or if there's any way to make him feel better you'll want to know sooner rather than later. A good vet will be able to help you figure out why he's been acting this way and how to make him feel better, for example, maybe he needs treatment for a disease or needs a different meal schedule. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion from another vet.

Shutting your cat in another room, especially a small one like a bathroom, won't do anything to help if your cat is nervous, scared, or in pain. If anything it will make him more nervous than just trying to create a calming environment, distracting yourself with some music or something can help you feel calm and make your cat see everything's normal and stop.