View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26

Re: My parents found out about my cuts and only the night after my birthday - April 15th 2014, 03:53 PM

Hi there.

I agree with Dez. Your parents, even if what they did made you feel uncomfortable, were genuinely trying to help. As hard as it may be, one just sometimes needs to be mindful of the fact that it can be difficult for parents to learn that their child is harming themself or going through anything like that. At the same time, it can be helpful for your parents to know, as it enables you to seek support from other sources. Have you considered talking to a counsellor or a therapist about what you're experiencing?

While I empathise with you regarding what has happened with your friends, don't close yourself off to the idea of making new friends. You could join some clubs or societies in your school/area for people with similar interests to yours, or you could take up a new hobby that will help you meet new people. Not only will you make some new friends, but taking part in these kind of activities can be a great help when it comes to releasing your emotions, which, in turn, may give you a better way to cope than self-harming. You could also look at our list of Self Harm Alternatives here.

I wish you the best, and I hope everything turns out okay!
-Gareth