View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Can't make friends due to anxiety - May 11th 2014, 11:02 PM

There's nothing worse than wanting to be social and being unable to. When I was at school I was painfully shy and it was so difficult for me to make friends because I felt I'd probably say something stupid or they wouldn't be able to deal with my rather uncommon personality. When I was in lessons, like you I was scared of getting up from my seat to do anything because I felt like people were passing comments about me and I'd get so paranoid that I'd end up staying put until the end of the lesson.

I found it easier to make a few friends closer to the end of school time because my fellow pupils were 'slightly' more maturer than the previous years and I ended up making friends with people who were just as socially anxious and shy as I was. What I found works best is talking to people one to one. When you're in a lesson and you're sat next to someone, ask them if they have a pen you can use, or ask them if there was any homework (even if you know there was/wasn't), little things can be huge ice breakers. Something to consider is seeing if there are any groups or after school clubs you could join. Groups are a great way of meeting people who have similar interests as you and so is a great conversation started because you'll know at least you and whoever you're talking to will have at least one thing in common.