View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
ThisWillDestroyYou Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Is Religion Dying? - May 23rd 2014, 03:14 PM

People still have faith, just not in ancient books. They have faith in their government, their education, sciences, professors, teachers, etc.

I think people are facing religion with a closed mind because religious people are seen as ignorant. While many religious people are just as dogmatic and irrational in their beliefs as most people who do not hold a belief in god (most atheists do not have a justified reason for their unbelief, so it is in essence, a belief), the difference is an atheist typically has better reasoning for their unbelief than a religious person has for their belief.

That is, the atheist can typically point to, with sound reason, why they don't believe, where as the theists typically has a fundamental misunderstanding of elementary scientific theories. I.E. Many apologists argue against evolution by saying it defies the second law of thermodynamics, or that we don't see apes giving birth to humans, etc. This logic doesn't make any sense because no scientist has ever claimed the latter, and there can be laws that supersede other laws. For example, aerodynamics supersedes gravity, etc., though it could be argued that isn't a law, I suppose.

I will say, however, there are MANY atheists with just as illogical reasoning. "I don't believe in god because there's so much suffering." This also is irrational because you are supposing that if there is this thing you don't believe in that this thing must be loving. There could be a god that is indifferent, and few consider it. Many, also, blindly believe scientists and teachers and professors much like the religious believe their priests and pastors and deacons etc.

To be honest, coming from someone who's been on both sides of the coin, I've found the most logical stance is somewhere in the middle. I can see why people believe in god, and I can see why people don't. I don't really know if there is. Sometimes I feel like there is, sometimes I feel like there isn't. But a belief isn't, and shouldn't, be justified by feelings.

I feel like society is just swapping a faith in religion for faith in unbelief. I know people hate when you say atheists have faith, but when you take a moment, step back, and examine it as a whole and as objective as possible, many atheists have faith. Just not in religion. They have faith in something that, to me, appears more rational. And typically the simplest and most rational explanation is the truth.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan