View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21

Re: Is Religion Dying? - May 24th 2014, 09:48 AM

I don't think religion is dying as much as it's evolving. Until about a hundred years ago, religion was so steeped in absolution that doubting it wasn't just considered heresy; it was lunacy. But as science has steadily progressed to answer more and more questions that religion either failed to answer, or answered incorrectly, views have changed.

I'm a primordialist. As such, I don't believe in divine creation, Biblical floods, great horrors to behold from a man loving another man or anything of that type. I do believe, however, that things such as murder, rape and stealing are inherently wrong. And therein lies the root of religion's change. Faith can be divided roughly into two sections: What we understand and don't understand, and what we know is right and what we know is wrong. The difference between creating, justifying and upholding morals and trying to explain the origins of all life isn't day and night. It's day and apples.

Maybe religious influence in developed nations is fading, but I don't think religion is; at least not significantly. Even amongst the demographic that describes themselves as "nonreligious", there are plenty who believe in some kind of deity, even if they aren't particularly observant of it or even certain of who/what it is.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos