View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Is Religion Dying? - May 25th 2014, 05:14 AM

Here's my two cents. America is usually considered to be the most religious country. I'm not positive if that is true or not. I do think that religion is dying, however I don't think it has lessened so much that people who are religious should worry. I think over the course of history (and I'm only speaking about America) we have been growing more tolerant. Woman gained rights, blacks gained rights, and now we are working on getting gays their rights. Back in the old days, religion was very important to everyone who immigrated to America, and they tried hard to keep that in the colony's hearts. In fact there were two Enlightenments in which some men traveled around and gave sermons in hopes to get the people interested in religion again. Because even back then those who were very religious were worried that religion was dying out.
I think that America becoming more tolerant has also led Americans to feel more comfortable with themselves. So as time has gone by, being Atheist has become more common and accepted and in turn, more people feel comfortable with expressing their lack of religion.
All in all, it's personal choice. I don't think anyone needs to worry about the world as a whole becoming less religious or more religious. If you are religious and are happy with having faith, then that's great. Other's have a hard time believing a lot of things that are taught in religions, and that's okay too. If you aren't brought up religious, it's less likely that you will be religious when you are older. Additionally, I don't think religion is ever going to completely die out or becoming super uncommon because there are enough cultures and families who make an effort to share their beliefs with their children that I think the statistics will always stay somewhere near half and half in regards to people being religious.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor