View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: First year experience? Loans, work, and balancing it all? - August 10th 2014, 11:00 PM

Last year was my first year at university and just like Kate, I actually had too much free time and I was even working two jobs (granted I didn't study as much as I should have...) College definitely seems very overwhelming at first, but once you're there for a couple of weeks you'll settle in and realize it's not as scary as it had seemed. I recommend waiting until you've settled in before finding a place to work because you are so stressed. If you can find a job on campus that will help because you won't have to worry about transportation and you sometimes get cool benefits, for example I work with the catering staff at my university and I get some free food because of it. If you work on campus they also usually make sure they don't have you working too much, usually you'll get 20 hours a week max. It's usually less depending on what you are doing. I had many weeks where I didn't have any hours, and many weeks where I had under 10 at my on-campus job.
My best advice is to try and calm down. If you get yourself worked up, you won't have any fun at university. Additionally, going to university instead of community college is way better even though it's more expensive because you get more of a community experience and universities put on multiple events that you can go to. A lot of them will be free as well.
As for money, I've had multiple jobs already and I've helped out family members just to pay for college. I've still had enough spending money to order pizza and go out while in college. I recommend you make a budget for yourself to watch your spending and make a plan of how much spending money you will have. Spending money is really important in college not just for outings but also to feed yourself and get any products you need such as toiletries (like tampons for example when the time of the month comes).
Yes, student loans suck but if you can get un-subsidized loans you won't have to pay it back until you graduate and interest won't start accumulating until then as well. That's what I'm doing and it's definitely taking a large financial burden off of myself because I have to pay a large portion of my tuition.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.