(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15

Re: Parents still have not taught me how to drive. - August 24th 2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaved1 View Post

I think you've missed the point.When you get your license (at least from where I am), you get given a logbook and are expected to be instructed on how to drive by a guardian or parent. In NSW, it's 120 hours on your Learner plates and you can then go for your Provisional License 1 when you're 17 and you pass the test. I thankfully got mine on my birthday this July but half the time I received lessons from a driving instructor and think OP should do the same, for a few times just to get a feel of the car and know the fundamentals then after that OP should ask his parents whenever they are available to go for a 45 minute cruise in a minimally packed area a few times a week.
I appreciate it may be 'expected' that your parents teach you but I wasn't aware that was the law? You could surely accure those driving hours fully through driving lessons. Please let me know if that's wrong though. As Deadpool has touched on, in the UK you can take your driving test without evidencing your road hours.

The AA says "There is no set figure for the cost of learning to drive, as it varies according to the number of lessons required and the location. As a rough guide; the Driving Standards Agency research shows that the average person will need at least 47 hours of lessons and 22 hours of private practice before they pass their test." I didn't do any private practice myself as the insurance costs were phenomenal. I think if I were in OP's shoes I would have a couple of lessons, show your parents you're capable and then press for private practice.

My point to the OP is that if his parents are not willing to support him, then he/she should make efforts to fund private lessons.