View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Wings Offline
dreaming my life away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12 Points: 7,043, Level: 12

Unhappy Social Anxiety and Working...? - August 28th 2014, 12:41 AM

When I was sixteen years old, I got my first job at a fast food restaurant. I've suffered from social and generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember, so having this job was one of the scariest things I've ever had to do. I only managed to work there for five months before quitting.
I recently graduated high school and I'm eighteen now. My father will be kicking me out soon, I have almost no money to pay my car insurance, and I am in desperate need of a job, but my anxiety is so severe that I've been almost entirely isolated for the past two and half years (I was home-schooled). I had a job about a month ago, but I was only there for a few days before I panicked and bailed
I don't know why talking to people is so hard for me, but I get so anxious during interviews I can't think straight and then going in on the first day is even worse. I'm a slow-learner and the anxiety makes it even harder for me to learn and preform a job effectively, so my previous bosses were always really frustrated with me and I felt horrible about it. I'm terrified if I get another job, the same thing is just going to happen again. I know I need to grow up and be responsible but it's like: I can either be completely isolated and have peace of mind or I can go out and experience life but be in a constant state of fear and uncertainty (so I usually choose being alone).

I'm sorry this is long, I ended up venting more than I intended to, so I really appreciate anyone who reads this. What can I do about my situation? Any input or advice is helpful!

Thank you