View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Making friends in college - August 28th 2014, 02:17 AM

Hey there,

I think that joining clubs is a great way to get involved. I have heard a lot of good things from people about joining clubs. It is a way to get actively involved in your classes and if you join clubs that have to do with things that interest you you are automatically going to meet people who have a shared interest. Meeting people with shared interest is a great way to start conversation and go from there. You can also do a google search for clubs in your area. I got involved in a book club by doing a google search and found a website that connected me to a pretty awesome book club.

Online dating could definitely be a good way to get yourself out there. If you aren't interested in a relationship you can let the person know and you could just go about meeting new people and trying to make friends. I've been talking to a few people on an online dating site and while it can be intimidating at first it is a really good way to get yourself out there and, potentially, find people who could be your friend. And, who knows maybe you'll find more.

Another thing you could try is getting involved in volunteer work within your community. I've been volunteering for a year and it has been great. I haven't made too many friends because of the way the volunteering works but I have definitely made a lot of acquaintances and it is pretty nice having people know my name and be glad to see me show up to the volunteer gig.

Lastly, I know you are shy but try and initiate communication with people. Ask them about the classes you are taking and ask them about a particular homework assignment. I am super shy as well and this is hard for me but when I find the right person I will randomly ask them about a subject we are learning, how they are enjoying the teacher or something like that. If I was brave enough I would try to take it further and build a friendship.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck