Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Anxiety over beds - September 10th 2014, 09:54 AM

Hi there,

I don’t think I have PTSD (I mean I am very jumpy but I’ve never been diagnosed), but I have been in similar situations where I get anxious of certain things (e.g. showers). I don’t know if this will help but I thought I’d share how I deal with my anxiety.

First, you need a goal, so I’m assuming that would be to sleep in your bed without getting anxious? Then try to break it down into smaller goals and work your way up from the small goal to the big one. Don’t rush the goals though: take your time and only do what you feel comfortable in doing. So for example, your first small goal might be to spend some time every day/night in your room. Acknowledge the bed and then try to find something to do in your room to keep your mind off the bed. Then every now and then, perhaps touch the bed or put something on the bed which you will then later on take-off the bed. This puts you in control of the situation. When you feel ready, you could spend time sitting next to the bed, or if you feel confident, on the bed. Start with a minute or two and then increase the time. As you feel more confident, spend time simply lying on the bed. Hopefully, when it comes to sleep, you should feel less anxious. It may take some time, but you will get there.

Keep reminding yourself that you are in control, and that the bed is only a reminder of what the girl did. You are safe, because the girl is not around to hurt you.

For general anxiety, try to relax by doing some controlled breathing or mindfulness. Both of these things can be found online.

If you are seeing a therapist, perhaps you could discuss this? They will be able to give better suited advice for your situation. And like Angie said, a good support system definitely helps!

Take care