Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Anxiety over beds - September 10th 2014, 12:27 PM

Hi There,

I am sorry you are struggling with this. I have never been diagnosed with PTSD but I have similar experiences to you about people touching me and some other things.
I know it helps some people to slowly approach what they fear. Like, do not force yourself into sleeping in your bed if you are extremely anxious about being there. You can slowly give yourself more and more time near/on your bed. Start out a distance from your bed that is comfortable and then slowly get closer to your bed. If your anxiety increases, stay where you are and try using breathing techniques, remind yourself that the girl is not there and that you will be safe and as was previously suggested, mindfulness is a great help too.
When you feel ready, keep increasing how close you are to the bed until you are at a point you feel comfortable touching or sitting on the bed for a few seconds or minutes (you will know what amount of time is best for you). Then, once you are touching or sitting on your bed, repeat the breathing techniques, reminding yourself she is not there and that you are safe etc.
I suggest that you complement this with therapy from a professional counselor that specializes in helping people with PTSD. You do not need to figure this out on your own and the counselor will know more techniques that you can use and might be able to help you in ways we probably cannot think of here because we are only volunteers.
I hope that you can get help for this and that you get help you need.
Take care and you can PM or VM me anytime if you would like someone to talk to or just a place to vent.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."