View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Do I have social anxiety? Or is this just me being afraid of growing up? - September 11th 2014, 07:01 PM

Hey Alex,

From what you have said, I’m not sure if it sound like you have social anxiety. If you feel anxious in a lot of different situations that require social interaction, such as meeting new people, talking to friends, people in authority, going shopping/cinema/out for food and using public transport, then I would consider social anxiety. However, it sounds like you may have mild general anxiety, but I’m not a professional, so if you wanted to find out for definite, it would be best to see a qualified professional.

It is definitely normal to feel nervous when driving for the first couple of times. I think the incident unnerved you and you realise that growing up comes with added responsibilities. You may worry that similar situations may happen again, which may or may not be generalised anxiety. It may have also knocked your confidence a bit which would add to the anxiety.

Since you are 18, I feel that it is also normal to worry about the future, and feel comfortable with being kid and almost scared of being adult. Growing up is a weird thing. Some people seem to be complete naturals at growing up. Others take a little longer. And then some worry about it. But at some point in all of our lives, we do have to leave the comfort of our childhood behind. However, remember that you are a YOUNG adult. Depending on how you look at it, you’re still a teenager and in some places, they don’t consider you to be a young adult until 21. Even then, the process of growing up takes a while.

Moving out can be a scary but also exciting experience, and will help you become more independent and deal with all sorts of situations. When you learn how to deal with things, you do get better at it. I’m sure you will meet your meet your college professors’ expectations- but if you find anything difficult, don’t be afraid to ask for help!

For the time being, try to take your mind of it and concentrate on other things. Think of what you’re good at and remember that it is normal to make mistakes, even when you are 18. It will be alright. Don’t avoid the situations that make you anxious- try to deal with them, and you will get better at it.

If the anxiety gets worse or doesn’t go away, then may you could talk to a counsellor to help you deal with feelings of anxiety.

All the best!