(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Adalia Rose

Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12 Points: 7,625, Level: 12

Re: Medication - October 13th 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpop. View Post
Another issue will be to figure out how to keep it a secret from my parents. While on campus, I can figure out how to get to a Stop & Shop pharmacy (I know my insurance works with them because I use it in my hometown), and fill it there. When at home, though, I will have to figure out how to do it under their noses, they're overprotective. I was thinking of asking if any of my friends would be able to vouch for me when I get it filled, like "Hey, -X- is coming to pick me up" and then I walk to the pharmacy or something.
Being open with your family and friends about your mental health and what is needed to do to improve it is a major factor towards getting better. It is likely that you won't feel better until you have to stop hiding things and looking over your shoulder every thirty seconds.

I recently told my mother about my mental health issues after years of hiding them. It was very hard because she took it as a low blow to her credibility as a mother. It wasn't that I had the issue that bothered her, it was that she never noticed my problems. Now that she knows I feel better. I don't feel like I have to hide who I really am from her. I mean she still gets a watered down version of what I am going through, but I'm only doing that because I know she's still adjusting to my problems.

I hope you find the courage to tell your parents and ask for help from them. You might even be shocked at the response your parents have to this. Most parents are overprotective because they care, not because they don't want you to need help.

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins